The Daystar switch pod (Amazon link) is a unique take on the A-pillar switch mounting solution landscape. About a dozen companies market a replacement trim for the A-pillar that features an integrated housing for four rocker switches, but Daystar seems to be the only company making a part you fasten onto the stock trim. At first glance I was in favor of the replacement trim style switch housing because they look less like a afterthought and more OEM, however after buying one and seeing what a piece of shit it is I quickly moved on to the Daystar product. The Daystar switch pod is made in the USA, here is what's in the box:
You get the switch pod, 4 plastic anchors (the kind with a threaded pin, not a push pin), and a template. As you can see the switch openings are pre-cut so you don't have to fiddle with that, but if you're not planning on installing four switches you'll need to buy some filler plates (Amazon link) to fill those empty spots.
Since I only have one stock trim I was cautious about cutting or drilling anything until I was sure everything seemed good. I mocked up the switch housing on the trim, I installed in in the Jeep and opened and closed the door. I looked at possible interference with the bracing on the back side of the trim. Everything looks satisfactory and the Daystar pod followed the contour of the stock trim very nicely.
The Daystar pod fits great. I think it's best location is as high as you can get it before the switch openings overlap with the mounting leg on the back side of the trim. Happy with the fit and location of the pod I move on to the template. The template shows the location of the mounting holes and area you'll need to remove from the trim for switch clearance. I cut the template out and attached it to my trim to see how there locations lined up with where I felt it belonged and I think it's very close. However, although the template looks great and fits the trim very well it does NOT line up with the anchor points of the switch pod, at least not in a way where the pod would sit flush with the contour of the trim. Throw that template in the garbage!
It is best just to use some masking tape and mark your own holes. I them used a very small bit to drill pilot holes then inlarged the holes to 1/4" with a step but. Step bits are self chamfering so they make remarkably clean holes in plastic. For the wiring cut-out I used a dremel tool and cleaned it up with a utility knife.
With all the drilling and cutting finished I instailled the pod with the provided plastic anchors. The fit is very nice and although the plastic anchors aren't my first choice they actually do a respectable job. Daystar went all in with the plastic anchors, molding a recess in the housing to perfectly accomodate the anchors so even though I really didn't want to use them I decided to give them a chance and I'm glad I did. I also don't think it would be that easy to use conventional nuts and bolts becuase of the contour of the trim. Looking at how the plastic anchors poke thru the back you can see there are no flat surfaces so tightening a nut on the back side would probably distort the trim. The mounting holes also poke right up against or directly into plastic structures on the back side of trim, futher complicating the use of a nut.